Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lucky Shamrocks!

I can't believe I gave out over 104 lucky shamrocks this week; I probably could have given out 50 more--but I ran out.  Daddy said we should keep a 'spread sheet', whatever that is, on how many little prizes we make and give, so we know how many to make for the next holiday.  I guess that will be a good idea once I know what a 'spread sheet' is.  Anyway, I promised I would tell you about my one friend at the Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center.

Let me set the stage.  Mom and I always start on the fourth floor and work our way down to the lobby and gift shop where I do tricks and then just greet people.  On the fourth floor, my first visit is Arizona Oncology where I do my tricks in the reception room and then go to the infusion room where I meet, greet and entertain from one to twenty patients receiving treatment.  Yesterday as I walked down the hallway, I heard, "Oh, it's Zoe. I am so glad you're here; you always make me so happy."  The sad thing was I am not sure who she was because she had a mask over her face, but I must have seen her before because she certainly knoew me.  So, I ran right up to her, but jumped in the infusion chair next to her.  As she petted me and told me again how happy she was for my visit, mom gives her one of my lucky shamrocks with my picture on it.

As she looked at it and thanked me (not my mom), a nurse's voice came from the lab room, "Rip off that mask, Mary; your numbers are great  - 40,000!"  Well, she literally ripped off the mask with one hand, flung it on the floor, signaled for me to jump into her lap, kissed me on the head  and said, "Oh Zoe, see.  Your lucky shamrock already did its thing; you are God's little angel in fur."  Sigh.....Mary made my day and mom's, too.

I continued on my visits and was thanked for all of my shamrocks; I ran out by the time I got to the second floor!  I guess I will start on the second floor when I am giving out Easter Eggs in a few weeks, or better yet, my 'spread sheet' will tell me what I need to know!
 Advice for today:
  • Plan ahead
  • Don't be caught short
  • Use a spread sheet


1 comment:

  1. SO proud owork.f you Zoe! Keep up the good

    ReplyDelete