Saturday, June 8, 2019

If a Nose Could Talk!

Every pet owner, especially one who owns or has ever owned a canine should watch this amazing 4 minute Ted Talk video, How do dogs see with their noses?  by Alexandra Horowitz.  The graphics are not only charming but also educational allowing  a non-scientifically minded person like me to comprehend the complex makeup of the dog's ability to navigate the world through his/her nose's "moist, spongy outside which  captures any scents the breeze carries" and more.
Zoe's amazing nose!
Here are some interesting facts:
  •  A dog can smell separately with each nostril.
  • By smelling in stereo, and SNIFFING,  she can determine the direction of the smell's source, what is out there and it's location.
  • When air enters a dog's nose, it is divided by a tissue in the nose into two chambers - one for breathing and one for smelling.
  • In the smelling chamber, there are "several hundred million olfactory receptor cells compared to a human's five million".
  • Humans breathe in and out through the same passage; dogs exhale through slits in the side of their nose, "creating swirls of air to draw in new molecules...allowing odor concentration to build up over multiple sniffs."
    Let me tell you, mom, there's more to this freesia than you know!
    The dog's brain also has an olfactory system that is far greater in size proportionally to its brain in comparison to the human brain's olfactory system.  Imagine this. Someone spritzes a spray of cologne in a small room.  You and I could smell and most likely distinguish it.  A dog would have no problem if the same exact spritz  were sprayed in an enclosed stadium. She could not only distinguish the smell but its components.
Here is what I found most interesting having two therapy dogs who seem to know which patient or resident needs them. The vomernasal organ (for the more medical version) located above the roof of the mouth detects hormones of animals and humans. In the animal kingdom it can determine hostile and friendly animals and  help in mating; in the human world it can read a human's emotional state and even tell when someone is pregnant or sick.

If a dog's nose could talk, oh the 'tails' it could tell as it revealed a whole world beyond our eyes.

60 comments:

  1. Fascinating I knew some of this but not all Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so informative. I did't know half of it. Thanks for that!!! Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!! I knew none of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed learning all about a dog's nose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog! You have great information that’s interesting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very interesting. This is my first read of your blog. You know I will be going back through it as time permits. ����

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really fascinating. I've lived with dogs all my life and knew none of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea! Very interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t know any of that - thank you so much for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, learning new things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our cocker spaniel at 13 is deaf and very little eyesight. She also sleeps VERY soundly and sometimes the only way my husband can wake her is to wave a doggie treat in front of her nose. Her nose will start to quiver and she wakes up. Their noses are remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for giving us such interesting information!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was really interesting. I didn't know about each nostril acting separately!! Cool

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting - thanks for sharing. I am so happy you & your mommy are creating this blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Zoe. I found your blog spot! So cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Ileana. Mommy found you on Pinterest this morning - more homework!

      Delete
  16. This is very informative. I enjoyed the interesting facts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very educational great things I didn't know

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never knew you had a blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a while back, but I never told anyone. Now I will post probably once a week.

      Delete
  19. Wow! Very informative! Thank you❤

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cynthia Webb MeadowsJune 10, 2019 at 5:09 AM

    I love this blog!
    Very informational.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just fascinating! I know they have a great sense of smell but this really explained a lot about how it works for them. Thanks for the great info 😍

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful information thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zoe I am here too how I navigated this far is a miracle !

    ReplyDelete
  24. So much great information, Zoe and Mommy! We are in awe of your nose, Zoe! Not sure how we humans survive with such poor sense of smell!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very interesting I guess that’s why some dogs can smell cancer glucose Changes and other things they do to help Sick people and how they can find missing people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very interesting I guess that’s why some dogs can smell cancer glucose Changes and other things they do to help Sick people and how they can find missing people.

    ReplyDelete