Monday, June 3, 2019

Mommy's Back in School

You may have noticed that I have not posted a blog in a very long time.  Well, I'm back, and according to my secretary, mommy, I will be back more often!   Many things have happened in my therapy dog life, but I will get back to that in a future post becasue this blog is all about mommy!  I will let her take over now.
Some of you already know that therapy dog work is a very important part of my life, but you don't know how it all came about.

When my dad was in hospice care back in 2004, shortly before he passed, a therapy dog visited him.  It was at that time that I decided that if I ever had a dog that would have the personality to be a therapy dog, I would get the dog trained and certified.  Fortunately, I have 2 such dogs, Zoe and Mia; both visit Hospice of the Valley patients weekly. They are registered nationally with Alliance of Therapy Dogs (ATD) and locally with Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale.

Zoe with Artie at a SCC Destressing Day
Therapy dogs need to have a certain disposition and love people.  They also need to have manners!  If you go to the ATD site, you can read all about the testing the dogs have to undergo.  It is important to have this certification for three reasons: it gives the dog credibility and allows the dog to participate 'legally' as a therapy dog in such places as hospitals, libraries, schools and even airports; in addition, certification carries a hefty insurance plan for the handler and dog.

Canine Good Citizen (CGC) from the American Kennel Club (AKC) is also helpful.  Advanced titles, CGCA Community and the CGCU Urban can also be earned with additional testing. I am proud to say that both Zoe and Mia have earned all their titles.  It is quite an accomplishment, especially for Mia since she is under 2 years old.

Therapy dogs can also earn Therapy Titles based on letters of recommendation, documentation and the number of visits they do.
  • AKC Therapy Dog Novice (THDN). Must have completed 10 visits.
  • AKC Therapy Dog (THD). Must have completed 50 visits.
  • AKC Therapy Dog Advanced (THDA). Must have completed 100 visits.
  • AKC Therapy Dog Excellent (THDX). Must have completed 200 visits. (Mia is just shy a few.)
  • AKC Therapy Dog Distinguished (THDD). Must have completed 400 visits. (Zoe)
So, there you have it. That's the "how"...  now for the "why".

Having a therapy dog is very rewarding to all involved - the patient or resident, staff, handler and of course the dog.  My girls know they get to do something special each time I put on my organization's smock or shirt and they don the appropriate vest.
from left to right - PHX Sky Harbor, HonorHealth and POW, ATD, HOV and Gabriel's Angels      

Each time we visit, it seems as if I have just given myself official 'play time' with my dog.

25 comments:

  1. It’s wonderful what you are doing. Neither of my boys have the temperament or intelligence to be a therealy dog and I’m not well enough to be the gandler of a therapy dog but having been an RN I’ve seen what therapy dogs can do. Back when they were first starting to be used we used them for my child/adolescent Psych patients. My boys ARE however my personal therapy dogs and now as I face another health challenge that’s very important. I couldn’t imagine my life without them God bless you Zoe & Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your class! Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides the people they visit in person, they provide all of us online therapy with their posts. My mom was in rehab after surgery for six weeks. The best part of the week was when the therapy dogs. Such an important job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about Zoe and Mia's therapy visits. Being in the hospital is so isolating. I would have loved to have a therapy dog visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful plan! I am so proud of my friends Diane, Zoe and Mia! Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a friend of Diane, Zoe & Mia & it is so true that the therapy they do thru Facebook is so uplifting to those of us who have left public jobs & now retired.Not in the work force & around many people. When my husband was critically ill 2 yrs ago I asked them for prayers. They said their prayers but didn't leave it there. They contacted me asking me about my husband & continued to pray which thrilled my heart & I said that is true therapy caring.. They love their work & us & we love them so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a remarkable Mommy. I am so happy that you have been blessed to have Zoe & Mia in your life. You 3 girls keep up the rewarding work. For me to read your blog & see Zoe & Mia just this me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ����������it's wonderful what you do. Keep up the good work. Our furbaby daisy is our baby, furbabies are family too. She's a joy to us, best birthday gift I ever received, got her when she was 9 weeks old, we've had her 10 years, my gift from my daughter, I think our furbabies bring such happiness into our lives. And if you were lonely or in the hospital they would bring a smile to you, just make you feel better,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you girls are really special! I think animal therapy visits are such a great thing for those you visit ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog!!! Learned so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, MS. Diane you have a lot on your plate. Mia looks wiped out and I am glad you are taking some pressure off of Zoe with he heart meds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you guys! True therapy dogs! I e solitulook forward to your posts every day! As I go through cancer I have met a few at our cancer clinic and enjoy the solitude and love these animals bring to patients.

    ReplyDelete