Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Believe in Angels #3 -

 Visit # 3  I thought this visit was so special I gave it a title: When Hearts Are Breaking.
When I entered the lobby, I noticed three very serious looking people seated at a table talking quietly and reviewing lots of papers. I recognized two of the people, one of them was Mr. W.’s daughter, Miss Susan who I had met when I visited for the first time. I knew better than to interrupt, but as we were passing she said, “Just a minute, that’s Zoe; come here girl.” She asked mommy if we could visit with her dad, probably because she knew I could cheer him up. I can't remember exactly, but I think she told us how Mr. W.s dog came to visit on Sunday and the dog was quite anxious, but the visit was still a good one. She showed us a picture of Mr. W.'s dog, and guess what? Guess!!! He looked almost like me, except he was bigger. Mommy said that we certainly would visit his room. Then his daughter said, “That would really please my dad. He’s told everyone about Zoe’s salute and…and…today we are putting dad on hospice care.” I could tell their hearts were heavy, and so was mommy’s because her daddy was on hospice before he passed; that was nearly nine years ago. Mommy said she remembers that day as if it were yesterday. They chatted for a while, and I sat patiently waiting to make my visits for the morning.

Walking past the administration offices and down the short hallway toward Mr. W.'s room, we stopped to visit a few other patients. Somehow I wanted to go directly to Mr. W.’s room which was (depending on the direction from which you entered) either the first or the last room near the nurses’ station. Today, it was the last room. When we got there, the door was open, but the curtain was drawn. Mommy said, “Come on Zoe, we will come back later; there are a lot of people in there now. They’re busy.” But, it was too late…I already started to enter, and Mr. W. saw me peeking under the curtain. It was just Zoe height, about ten inches off the floor. His daughter said, “Oh, he sees the dog. It’s okay; come on in Zoe.” Everyone seemed very somber except for Mr. W. who was seated in the same chair as on our prior visits, and he had a bright smile on his face.

Mr. W. was holding the hand of a nice lady; I think she was his wife. You could tell they loved each other. I was at the foot of Mr. W.’s chair, and he tried to reach down and pet me, but couldn’t quite reach, so mommy picked me up. He had the biggest smile on his face, and he invitingly cocked his balding head toward me. I knew exactly what he wanted – a Zoe kiss! He cuddled with me a little and then motioned with his right hand to his forehead. Mommy said, “Do you want Zoe to salute?” He nodded. Mommy put me on the floor and told me to sit at attention. I did that just fine, but then I looked around and realized I was surrounded by, I think - eight people. One of them was a really tall man with a big book that had a ribbon it. I guess I sort of froze because I did NOTHING! Mommy, said, “Oh come on Zoe, let’s do your salute to the military…for Mr. W.?” She touched my right ear…I looked at Mr. W.; he was watching intently. I did my entire salute routine flawlessly. Then Mr. W. motioned a little circle with his hand. Mommy asked if it was okay for me to do my other tricks; his daughters nodded, “Yes.” When I was finished, they all clapped, and I did one last twirl with a jump about two feet off the floor. I left his room feeling very good about the levity I brought to that very serious situation. But, then mommy had to get some tissues...I guess something got in her eyes.

I will tell you more next time...

Sleep well tonight my friends. Did you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes when you are asleep? That's what my friend Cali Lollipop, says! So, I hope all your wishes come true.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Zoe, you have Mommy Jenny & I in tears already. This is such a beautiful story series. You are such a special friend...to me and to all the precious people that you visit. What a beautiful story so far. I can't wait to read the rest, except that Mommy has to wait a bit or I am sure you will have her bawling by the end. We love you!
    <3 Pixel & Mommy Jenny

    ReplyDelete