Monday, July 29, 2013

Visits With Mr. W. - I believe in Angels

This is a mini-series of 6 different visits which culminates with my visit with an angel.  I believe in angels, don't you?


July 4th, 2013 – The morning of July 4th was the day I first met Mr. W.   Dressed in my patriotic red, white, and blue Independence Day outfit, I walked into his room while making my rounds through the care center; I thought it would be a typical visit of ‘meet and greet’, do tricks and exchange pleasantries, but this was different.  There was something different about HIM – something unexplainable. At first I was a little apprehensive, maybe even frightened, because of the various medical devices, but as soon as he smiled and removed his oxygen for our visit, it was love at first snuggle!  He just kept looking at me in such a special way and whispering things to me that no one else could really hear.  He had the most infectious smile.  When mommy asked if he wanted to see my tricks, he responded with a giant smile and a nod of “yes”.  After I finished my routine, he clapped as did his visitors.  It was so nice to see that he had visitors because so many of the people I visit are very much alone.  Then, his daughter, Miss Susan, asked if she could take a picture of us with her cell phone.  Mommy asked her if it she could send it to us, with Mr. W’s permission of course, and explained that maybe I would submit it to the quarterly magazine of TD Inc., the organization where I am registered, as well as my Facebook page and blog; Miss Susan asked her dad, and he gave his permission. I am so glad that she did.  It was an ideal first visit.


This was also the day I was asked to return to the center at 1:00 to be the Grand Marshall or the 4th of July Parade.  When mommy and I returned, I led the parade out of the dining room! I was so hoping to see Mr. W., but he wasn’t there.  We saw his daughter though, and when mommy asked about him, she said he wasn’t having a good afternoon, but I could stop in his room to just say hello.  So, that’s what we did – no tricks – just a quick hello and a few pets. It was perfect, and it brought a smile to his face.  I ---no--- we were happy.


4 comments: