Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Little More About My Past

Today is Sunday, a day of rest ---I thought I should tell you a little more about my actual adoption.  You see, Diane,  my future mom , wasn't really sure I was the right dog for her because she was really interested in another dog, a little 9 month old Maltese who was a Parvo survivor; Jewel was her name.   Jewel was being fostered in New River by a lady who was a friend of one of the Finding Fido staff.  Diane saw the little dog's picture on Adopt-a -pet.com, and she fell in love with little Jewel.  I guess she was pretty cute, but I am way cuter!  (Mom even told me that, but not at first!)  She even drove out to see the dog.  Well, to make a long story short.  The lady never intended to give the dog back to the Rescue for adoption and there was quite a scene because the lady wanted to keep her!  I guess my mom was sad, but as I always say:  "That's the way the cookie crumbles, and it crumbled just the right way for me!"  My foster mom, Pam, called  Diane and told her that Jewel was not going to be available - ever- but she had just picked up a dog from Maricopa County who would be perfect for her.  Perfect!!!! That's me...little Miss Perfect!  So... I was spayed, had my teeth cleaned, was vaccinated, micro chipped, fluffed, puffed and made ready for adoption - November 13, 2010.  I can still remember it as if it were yesterday.

I only wanted to be with Pam; I wanted nothing to do with the lady she called Diane.  I was taken out of my carrier, given to Diane to hold me and take me for a little walk.  I wanted nothing to do with Diane at all; I just kept looking back to Pam.  Diane wasn't too sure either - like I said before, I was cute, but really kind of scrawny!  About 20 minutes passed when another volunteer came and told Diane that she needed to make up her mind because other people were interested in seeing me.  Well, Diane decided to give me a chance, and I thought, "What the heck, I might as well give Diane a chance."  I really didn't have much say in the matter, so off I went ---still looking to Pam over Diane's shoulder.

We stopped at Star Fire on the way to her house because I was very fidgety in the car; she knew that I had to go to the bathroom.  She KNEW! I remember thinking, "This might not be so bad; at least I was with someone who knew something about dogs."  When we got home, I found I had a yard with a  waterfall, a bed (I did wonder if she would let me sleep in her human bed), new toys,  cute food and water bowls on a rug shaped like a bone, something called a doggie door and a man who lived there named Ken. She took my picture as soon as we got home.  It is the one that's on today's post.  You be the judge....I was cute then, but don't I look better now?
                                                                         Then...

                                                                            Now! 
                                          Just for the record, I love my home and my pet parents;
                                              they love me, too.  We are just one happy family.

I will tell you more about my first day and night another time.

Here's today's advice:
  • Adopt-a-Pet.com is a great website to start your search for an ideal pet.
  • Remember to have your pets neutered or spayed to prevent unwanted puppies and kittens
  • Make sure that you are ready to accept the responsibilities that go with caring for a pet; it's more than just food, water and shelter!



2 comments:

  1. Cuter NOW!!! for sure......

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Jackie!Q Cuter and probably healthier now, too.

      Lynn

      Delete